Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Life in Alaska

I have a bit of spare time today so I thought I would write a little something. The weather is nice today and we are getting a layer of beautiful snow! It is so much fun to watch it snow, but not so much fun to drive in it.

I have been staying busy while Allen has been in Prudhoe. I have volunteered with the local theatre company and am going to be helping with the costuming in their production of Anne of Green Gables. I can't tell you how excited I am. The director and costumer are both super nice ladies and they have been including me in everything. I know I am going to have a ton of fun, but it is going to be a lot of work! 32 cast members, a small budget, and a period production! Fun, fun, fun! We should be getting together with the cast sometime this week to get measurements. I can't wait.

I have been doing a lot of sewing and crocheting lately. Last week I made a 6-gore skirt (which I wasn't to pleased with), a flannel slip, a fleece wrap which is almost finished, and an amazingly cute purse. I also found a web site that has free audio books to download. While sewing the skirt I got to listen to "Treasure Island". It wasn't bad. It was a nice change from the Austen romances I have been reading.

Friday I ended up watching my friend Ami's children while she and her husband went on a date. They brought over their train set and tons of cars, I put away all my breakable items and we had a lot of fun! They pulled out everything from they toy box they brought over and my whole living room became a play ground. I really enjoyed having them over and forgot how much fun children are. They each had tons to tell me and all wanted to help with supper. So the four of us worked together to make the cornbread and it to all three boys to check and see if it was done. I think the funniest thing was when I showed them that a magnet will stick to metal. Their train set hooks together with magnets and each boy grabbed a train car a proceeded to see what in the apartment was metal. They were so funny going along one after the other in a little line and touching everything they could reach before proclaiming "yep" or "nope". They went through every room and checked each and every toy they had. It was a lot of fun!

Of course, Saturday came. Yes, I spent "Singles Awareness Day" all alone, yet I am not single. However, my loving husband did a great job of waking me up first thing in the morning to tell me ..... well the usual mushy stuff. :) He also told me that I have a gift coming in the mail and I can't wait to see what in the world he could have sent me from Prudhoe Bay Alaska. He said that during their safety meeting on Friday they reminded all the married men what the next day was and that they should make all the necessary arrangements, flowers and such. Their bosses told them them, in the most solemn tones, that they were just as concerned about their safety at home as they were on the rig. lol Well, I ended up sewing all day and then went and got some movies from the Movie Gallery we have up here. I made myself and big bowl of popcorn and had a great time staying up late! I didn't even feel one bit sorry for myself. :) lol

Anyway, that is what has been happening up here this week. I know it isn't much but hey, it's February in Alaska. 

 

My purse:

February 034

Dumping out the toys

February 035

When Kalian disappeared.

February 036

The finished track.

February 038

Micah

February 039

The legs of the table are, in fact, metal but the top isn't

February 040

Checking every toy on their pile. They were surprised at how many cars weren't real metal. :)

February 041

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Good job on the blogging :) I didn't know you were helping with costuming! That sounds like fun...

Anonymous said...

AAAHHHH My boys are growing up!!!! and in just a few days you will hit the 2 years and no blogging mark.... Missing you!