This morning around 3:30am Allen and I left for the airport. Everything went well, no traffic, no ice (yippee), and I had a chance to make a few phone calls. Anchorage, however, was a bit colder and still had ice on the road ways. But, we made it to the airport, hit all green lights, and Allen got off without a hitch. Then........I got in the driver's seat. Ok, I went slow and was very cautious. I hit all green lights being one of the only cars on the road. I got caught at one red light.......I say caught. I slid through it. The ice had other plans for my Yukon and a full and complete stop wasn't it. I hit the brake, and the ABS kicked in. I kept going, and going, and going. There was another car at the light and once they saw I was going to stop (just not behind the white line) they hit the gas and sped past before I T-boned them. I am sure the look on my face gave them something to talk about for the rest of the day. After the terror was over, I had to laugh. I have never been in a situation like that, with the exception of my mud-bogging experience with Jolene. Anyway, I made it out of the city and all its ice. Then, I had a whole different trial.
You see, right now there are no lines on the road as they are covered with salt or dirty snow. The way you drive is in the ruts that are visible, no matter what lane, if it is a lane. Allen and I are still wondering if some of the roads in town are two lanes or one as we can't see the lines. And of course there are no reflectors either. So, you can imagine how easy it was for me to drive home in the pitch black dark.......petrifying. But, God is good and sent other cars when I needed them to see how the road went and I made it home safe. I know that most people wouldn't have a problem, but my wonderful eyes don't get along with all the headlights and I have a problem with my depth perception. However, that experience is over and it one I will look back on and shiver. lol
So now I am making up for my crummy day. Coffee, chocolate, and Pride and Prejudice! That's six ours of comfort doing some cross stitching and laughing at all of Mrs. Bennett's ridiculous comments.
Ohh, Allen made it to the slope just fine but got put on night shift again. It actually works better for us in terms of communication, since the shifts are 5:30-5:30. He can call before he goes to work, which will be 5:30pm instead of am.
Hope everybody is doing well and has a great weekend!
Friday, December 5, 2008
My Alaskan Driving Experience
Posted by Catherine at 2:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment